Thursday, October 20, 2016

September 2016 Income & Expenses


The amounts below are cash amounts and are net of taxes, insurance, 401k contributions, HSA, etc. In other words, the amounts are what get deposited and withdrawn from my accounts.

Day job (take home pay) --- $12907.95
Dividends/Interest ---  $535.72

Total net income --- $13443.67

Expenses --- $6733 (Taken from Mint)

Savings  $6710.67 --- Rate  49.94%

After hitting a record low savings rating in August, I bounced backed nicely saving 50% of my income for the month. Expenses were still on the high side, but my income was my highest amount so far for 2016.

Considering I prepaid a 4 day cruise last month, I feel really good about last month and will continue to work on my daily living expenses, I have noticed a trend this year that "one-time" anomalies are becoming monthly occurrences so I better tighten things up.

My day job income was outstanding last month which was surprising considering the election is so close. October will not be as kind as we are tracking for our worst month of the year. Make hay while the sun shines I guess.

It also feels good seeing some real progress from the passive income front. I probably should start reporting my interest income from Lending Club as well. I might hit the $100 mark in October.

DEFY MEDIOCRITY

12 comments:

  1. MDP -

    Hell yeah! Back on track brotha, I dig it. Also - are you maxing out then your 401k and HSA, curious.

    Great job getting back to 50%. MDP/MVP...

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanny,

      I'm definitely maxing out out the HSA, but I am limited on 401k contributions because of the highly compensated employee limitations. In recent years I've been capped around 10k. That's disappointing, but it the laws are what they are. I still get the employer match to 6% of my salary which is a nice benefit.

      MDP

      Delete
  2. Great savings percentage. This comes after a 4 day cruise expense. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH,

      I am really pleased with the results and hopefully I can improve over time. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that my spending will be up over the next couple of years. I'll keep investing though regardless of the amount.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Rounded to 50%, that is a very handy savings rate - nice job!

    Tristan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tristan,

      I would say 50% or above is outstanding any month of the year! The next couple of months will be rough sledding on the expenses front.

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Great job on the income MDP, and even better on that impressive savings rate nearly 50 percent.
    Keep at it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DF,

      Thanks! It's been a tough year expenses-wise so I'm glad about the results.

      MDP

      Delete
  5. MDP,
    very nice saving rate and hell of an income! That's the kind of motivation I need. Keep leading I'll follow. Defy mediocrity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DR,

      It's my pleasure to provide some motivation! Defy Mediocrity indeed.

      MDP

      Delete
  6. nice income and great job on saving 50% of it! I work with lots of people, who earn a lot but spend it all. My applauds to you! Always ejoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHWG,

      Thanks for coming over! 50% would be great every month. I am going to keep working on it! Someday...

      MDP

      Delete