Saturday, January 13, 2018

January 2018 Net Worth


All figures are generated from Mint.com. 

December was certainly an interesting month. Christmas always seems to put a strain on the finances and this year was no different. My on again off again girl friend (who is also a really good friend regardless of our relationship) had some health expenses related to cancer. 

Yeah I know, logically I should not have stepped into helping her with the expenses, but I care about her a lot and she's always been a good person and helped me out when times have been difficult. I reasoned that sometimes you have to help friends/family out even when you know the money will never be capable of being returned.

Also having lost my step dad to colon cancer complications and having seen my mom have a cancerous mass removed from her stomach within the last year probably influenced the decision.

In the interest of full disclosure, the expense was $6,000. Anyone who knows me understands that this is entirely against my normal behavior. Maybe I am making up for a lot of the shit I've done in the past. A karma situation perhaps lol

Anyway, I had another rough income month at work and am fortunate to realise the roughly $3k gain I had. I'm super glad to have it and it took my 401k surging big time in the last couple of weeks to make a month over month gain.
I know eventually the market will drop and these monthly gains will go away, until then it's nice seeing the upward trajectory!

Assets

Checking --- $8,698
Savings/Investments --- $375,631
Lending Club --- $6,501
HSA --- $2,555
IRA --- $9,945
401K --- $358,044
2014 Jeep Wrangler --- $23,743
House --- $131,999

Liabilities

$0

Net Worth

$917,116


YTD Totals

2018

Jan 2018 --- $917,116



2017

May 2017 --- $835,009
July 2017 --- $851,904 

Aug 2017 --- $860,072
Sept 2017 --- $869,374

Oct 2017 --- $887,033
Nov 2017 --- $897,145

Dec 2017 --- $914,266



There is no down time when building a path that doesn't lead back to ZERO

13 comments:

  1. Sometimes we have to deter from our normal path in the interest of doing what is right. It sounds like this person is very important to you and it was a very nice thing to do. In the long run, $6,000 is nothing compared to your broader net worth.
    The best part is that despite the expense, your net worth continued to grow. 2018 is going to be one hell of the year as you close in on seven figures.

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert,

      Thanks for the perspective and I agree completely! Best wishes for you in 2018!!

      MDP

      Delete
  2. Doing the right thing does not need justification. Price is what you pay and value is what you get. It speaks volumes about your character and integrity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Thanks buddy! I haven't always done the right thing for sure, so it feels good even if in the long run we aren't together. Sometimes it's more important to give even when the future is uncertain.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Great numbers despite what you mentioned to be a rough month for income. Great numbers and increase is still a increase to me. 3k is increase in net worth is great. Keep it up and good luck for the new year.

    Happy Investing.
    TDK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TDK,

      Thanks for the comment and I'll do my best for sure!

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I guess the header was support to be "Januari 2018" though? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aktiepappa,

      Hey thanks for the catch! I'm fixing it now

      MDP

      Delete
  5. Karma or not, I think you did the right thing helping out with your girlfriend's health care costs. Good on you! Very inspirational, MDP! Take care and all the best for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferdi,

      Thanks for the reassurance! I wish you the best in 2018 as well.

      MDP

      Delete
  6. Just when I think I can't like your blog any more than I already do, you go and do some ridiculously selfless act that makes me like it even more. Your action speaks volumes of your character.

    Good for you DP!
    -MH


    Good for you DP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MH,

      You are too kind! I haven't always been so generous. Time to make up for some lost ground.

      MDP

      Delete
  7. Thank for providing good information for site,Thanks for your sharing.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete