Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Weekly Sharebuilder Purchases

Here is the automatic investment that I made for this week.  S&P 500:  2069 (Another record)
  • BBL:  4.96 shares @ $50.22 --- Yield  4.94%

Total capital invested is $250.00 and my yearly dividends will increase by $12.29.

I must admit it feels a bit strange only adding $250.00 to my portfolio this week. I think that I may be suffering from withdrawal (no pun intended) symptoms. I must admit I am pleased to have my savings account exceed $2000 for the first time in many months.

Even better is the fact that this week's purchase was entirely funded courtesy of accumulated Sharebuilder credits. Throughout the year Sharebuilder gives certain cash incentives if you transfer or invest X amount of dollars within a certain time period.  I originally received $100 after I surpassed the $10k mark.  Later this year, Sharebuilder was promoting a three month "contest" to add funds and in return they would deposit additional money in my account. Because of bad timing, I typically don't do well with these types of promotions. I can't even count the number of times I have ignored retailers that promise X% off your purchase if you open a store credit card. I usually dismiss the offer simply because I don't want 10 extra cards to keep track of. Even bank cards are a pain as they usually require to make purchases from different merchants during select months to qualify. I find that just paying cash is the simplest method.

Anyway back on topic, I received an additional credit from Sharebuilder in the amount of $200 this month which brings my yearly total to $300. Again this may not seem like a lot of money, but it essential covers all my transaction costs for the year as I have currently made 184 weekly stock purchases at $1 per transaction. Additionally if I go back to only 12 purchases per month I can almost cover the transactions costs for all of next year.

So if you see me making smaller purchases and are wondering how I overcome the fees, this pretty much summarizes how I have been able to invest essentially for free.

Stocks on my radar for next week include CVX, BP, RDS-b, BBL, ESV, ITW, PX, and XOM.


I hope everyone has a safe, fun, and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

For those of you who will spend the holiday weekend grinding away, I will be right there with you.

18 comments:

  1. Hi MDP,

    Thanks for sharing your 'purchase'. Great company by the way!

    It's still quite hard to believe that you made 184 weekly stock purchases this year, but somewhat just that you received money back for them. It must be nice knowing your future monthly purchases will be covered by you 2014 mass investing spree.

    I keep forgetting that it's Thanksgiving at this time of year. I hope you have a great one!

    All the best
    Huw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huw,

      Yeah, Sharebuilder has worked out really well for me this year. I like BBL here and will probably keep adding to the position.

      MDP

      Delete
  2. Sure a lot of people buying BBL lately. It's crazy that you've made 184 weekly purchases this year. That's an amazing feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawcan,

      BBL is a dividend investor magnet right now! I am going to keep buying and lowering my cost basis.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Wow, BBL is the name of the day. I guess when you have a high quality, high yielding stock near its 52 week low with a great valuation it begs to be bought. I have to admit after looking at BBL and reading about the buys on many other blogs I am compelled to at least nibble on it at these prices. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for sharing your recent purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut,

      BBL is getting about as much love as Target was earlier this year. That much negative sentiment can signal a buying opportunity. Good luck with your decision!

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Definitely buy of the day (well timed with their presentation yesterday). Glad to be a fellow shareholder. I'd be happy to add more shares from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FTFF,

      I agree with you about adding more shares. My cost basis is around $56 so I keep buying in the low 50's.

      MDP

      Delete
  5. Nice buy on BBL, its so hot right now. I love the basic materials sector too, because that stuff never goes out of style.

    That is an amazing amount of buys on Sharebuilder. I use them too, and I do not think I am near a point in my life where I can make that work. Congrats on essentially earning all that money back, and putting it back to work ASAP!

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DG,

      Energy and commodities are taking a beating right now. That to me signals an excellent buying opportunity. BBL may not be completely out of the woods yet, but it looks pretty attractive at a 5% yield.

      MDP

      Delete
  6. MDP,

    Nice purchase and great way to leverage your relationship with Sharebuilder - I am hoping to get there, at some point! Looks like you and Mantra both pulled the trigger on BBL... I am spotting a trend. I may dig in and perform my own analysis to see the shine of gold that you are all buying over there! Great job and it doesn't matter if the purchase is big or small - it is a purchase and adds dividend income to your portfolio. Talk soon MDP!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanny,

      BBL continues to experience weakness like most of the energy sector. I will continue to nibble at it until it gets to a full position. Mantra appears to have bought at $.02 lower than me this past week. Clearly he is a better market timer. :-)

      Delete
  7. MDP,

    Great move. BBL appears to be one of the more attractive values in the market right now, in my view.

    I imagine it has to feel a bit weird to lay off the throttle a bit. The good news is that your previous investments will compound for you for the rest of your life, and who's to say when you might be back at it full force? Either way, it's good to know that you don't have to be on it 100% all the time any more.

    Keep it up!

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DM,

      I feels weird to slow down the purchases, but relaxing as well. My plan is to ramp the purchases back up after tax season next year, but I will certainly jump in sooner in market conditions dictate that I do.

      MDP

      Delete
  8. It is a little strange seeing you make just one purchase. :) Excellent work with taking advantage of Sharebuilder's promotions and congrats on the bank account balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seraph,

      Well I intentions once I hit $14,500 was to start rebuilding my cash position so I plan on much lower purchases for the next several months. The Sharebuilder promotions have been excellent!

      MDP

      Delete
  9. Good to see you used that easy money to invest as many consider it bonus money and spend more frivolously. Solid pick too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AG,

      Definitely! I plan on reinvesting any credits and all dividends until I reach the point in which I will be living off the income.

      MDP

      Delete