Monday, February 20, 2017

January 2017 Income & Expenses




The amounts below are cash amounts and are net of taxes, insurance, 401k contributions, HSA, etc. In other words, the amounts are what get deposited and withdrawn from my accounts.

Day job (take home pay) --- $9633.76
Dividends/Interest ---  $249.57

Total net income --- $9883.33

Expenses --- $15773 (Taken from Mint)

Savings  ($5890) --- Rate  (59.60%)

Well that really sucks. I honestly can't remember having a negative savings rate in the last 10 years or so. Oh wait......how could I forget the divorce at the end of 2015!!! HUGE negative.

Here is what happened in January.

1. I had to replace my 19 year old roof and paid for it out of pocket.
2. I renewed both my home owners and auto insurance. (1 year coverage)
3. My knee surgery bills are still coming in like clockwork.
4. Spent too much money while on a cruise!

I know some people might say that the insurance and the roof could be expensed over time, but I like the cash accounting method better. I simply take what goes in and subtract what comes out. Nice and simple.

Right now I'm sitting at about $3500 in expenses for February. I am in RED ALERT mode after last month!! The good news is that thanks to the market, my net worth is quite a bit higher than it was at the end of 2016.


10 comments:

  1. Well that isn't a great outcome but at least you have something to look forward to next month. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BHL,

      So true! Time to put the train back on the tracks!

      MDP

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to get better. Hang in there!

      Delete
    2. dG,

      I love the optimism. I'm optimistic as well! Time to do some belt tightening.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Very depressing, I earn that kind of money each year. Oh EU :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      There is always an opportunity to make a career change! Don't sell your value short.

      MDP

      Delete
  4. MDP -

    Damn... damn. 19 year old roof - that was close to the end of the life of it. No "natural disaster" occurred and damaged the roof that could have been under the insurance? Would have been nice, for sure. I'm sorry to hear, but I hope the memories for the cruise were awesome haha, as I'm slaving through busy season. Dammit. haha

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanny,

      Don't slave too hard! The cruise was a blast. 22 of us in all went and it was a non stop party! Roof was depreciated down to nothing plus I had just switched insurance companies so it was all out of pocket. February is looking much better!!

      MDP

      Delete
  5. Good to see you are taking it in stride. Hang in there, and hopefully things will improve.
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete