Saturday, June 21, 2014

Weekly Run Log 10k Milestone Reached

Here are my runs for this week.

Sunday:  10k--6.25 miles  (high school track)                       
Monday:  Idle
Tuesday:  3.5 miles  (neighborhood) 
Wednesday:  Idle
Thurday: 2.75 miles  (neighborhood)
Friday:  3 miles  (neighborhood)
Saturday:  3 miles  (high school track)

Weekly Total:  18.5 miles

The weather in Houston was about normal for this time of year----80 and humid in the mornings.

Sunday

I finally finished a 10k after six months of running.  It was only one more lap than last week, but it was both difficult and very rewarding.  I started running at 6:45 and finished in 1 hour and 3 minutes which is a 10:03 minute per mile pace. 

I was dying at the end and needed three fifteen second water breaks during my run.  Sunday is my only day off each week and I hate the idea of getting up 5:30, but the heat is too much during a long run. 

The good news is I felt no effects of fatigue, shin splints, or general pains during the next few days.

Weekdays

I added a lit bit of distance to my three weekday runs and felt great after each one.  I still prefer running on the track and will probably do that more often.  I have not noticed any ill effects from increasing the mileage this week.  My knees feel great and my breathing is normal.  I have also noticed more energy while at work.

Today--My wife joins me

I was going to take today off since I have a long run tomorrow and a 12 hour workday today.  My wife for the first time asked if I would go running with her at the track.  She recently started running about 6 weeks ago.  Obviously I was excited she wanted to go running with me and I jumped out of bed full of energy at 5:30 this morning.  Even though we run at different paces, this was by far my most enjoyable run of the week with her present.  I finished 3 miles in 27 minutes.

I will probably work on increasing the mileage totals during my weekday runs and lower my time on Sunday runs.  10k is a good solid base for now.

10 comments:

  1. So what is your top times for 1k? 5k? 10k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AG,

      I have only reached 10k once, that was this past Sunday and I ran 1 hour and 3 minutes. My fastest 5k so far is 27 minutes. I'm not super fast yet, but I am working on increasing my speed.

      MDP

      Delete
    2. Congrats on the new milestone, MDP. 27 minutes for 5K is still a good time. Keep it up!

      R2R

      Delete
    3. R2R,

      Thanks buddy. I plan on it getting a little faster each month.

      MDP

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on reaching a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DGJ,

      Thank you. Now that I have reached 10k I am going to work on more miles per week and increasing my speed.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. its a great news that your wife decided to join you! It is always nice to be a team! and congrats on 10k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HHWG! It is always nice to have a hobby that we both enjoy.

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Good morning,

    First of all I would like to thank you for starting up your blog: “My Dividend Pipeline”
    It has been a great help for people like me from The Netherlands who wants more information about their possibilities for future retirement.
    Your method is simple to follow it provides all the details that is needed for future retirement
    Your approach is :
    • simple
    • profitable
    • compounding at ? % per year yields some nice results after 10 to 15 years
    All you need is patience, discipline and time and what you get back is real dividend cash flows.
    And last but not least you would discover the wonders of compounding interest.
    “ When asked to name the greatest invention in human history, Albert Einstein simply replied” compound interest.”
    So, dear followers an readers of the Blog: “My Dividend Pipeline”
    Time is a Is A Double-Edged Sword
    So start as early as possible with your own retirement and the time of the wonders of compound interest will be on your site.
    Other wise it is the enemy of your future retirement
    So don’t wait any day anymore and start your retirement process today !!

    I read your 2014 goals and my depth analysis is crystal clear:
    In the foreseeable future your financial dream will come true.
    Not fix too much on deadlines it will give you stress.
    You are doing a formidable job, believe me.

    Jogging is your other passion

    You like to run like I do.
    And you wrote: “ I complete 10k run after six months of running “
    As a Dutch citizen I am running at least three times a week in Arnhem, The Netherlands.
    We have in our country a nice cool climate.
    If I am well informed you live in Houston, Texas
    Houston has a hot climate.

    YOU HAVE A DREAM TO BECOME FINANCIAL INDEPENDENT , BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR HEALTH ?.
    I donnot know nothing about you ,but I advice you if you not have done that already to see a doctor and do an ” ELECTROGRAM”
    Years ago it was for me personally and mentally the best thing I could do before I start jogging .
    If I were you I should opt for ECG or ask your doctor for advice.
    You can have a hidden heart problem a friend of my father jogged also and after running he felt dead.
    They did an atopsy and discovered he had a heart problem.
    If he had token an ECG he could still be alive today.

    If it is hot in my country and I decide to run I notice directly it takes a lot more energy to complete the 10K.

    Last but not least healthy eating is also important.

    I like your blog and will keep reading it and have great days to come in your great country.


    Happy investing,
    Met vriendelijke groet,

    George T, Jr.
    Arnhem

    The Netherlands/Nederland

    ReplyDelete
  5. George,

    Thanks so much for the kind words and you are 100% correct. Wealth without health has little value. In the last six months I have noticed a big increase in energy and my blood pressure continue to decrease. I haven't visited a doctor in some time and need to soon. In the mean time, I am going to continue running and as you suggested eat healthy!

    I hope you come back and visit again!

    MDP

    ReplyDelete