Saturday, June 7, 2014

Weekly Run Log

Warning:  There will be no mention of dividends, stocks, or financial independence.


2013

One of my goals for 2013 was to run 5 miles by the end of the year. As easy as this goal should have been, It did not happen---in fact I think 2 miles was the most I ran all year.  I would run for a week and then take take a couple of weeks off hiding behind a myriad of weak excuses.  All my momentum would be lost and then I would attempt to start over again.  This happened throughout the first 7 or 8 months of the year.  By September, I received a job promotion that requires SIX day work weeks and 60+ hours.  That pretty much put the kibosh on my running program for the year.  By the end of my year after reaching most of my goals, the fly in the proverbial ointment was the 5 mile run goal.  To make matters worse a friend I have not seen in ten years posted on Facebook that he had just completed a Half Marathon.  Last I remember he couldn't run even half a mile back in high school.


2014

This past January I decided to start running again so I could lower my blood pressure and hopefully reduce some of the stress in my life. I half-assed it for the first couple of months like I usually do when I get the bright idea to start an exercise program.  In spite of a damn cold winter here in Houston (yeah I know, 35-40 degrees is not cold in most areas of the country.... In Houston it's Damn cold),  I dragged myself out of bed into the cold and decided to start exercising once again. 

After a few months of seemingly little progress, shin splints, sore feet, and blisters I finally reached 3.5 miles in March.  While 3.5 miles in not exactly a marathon, it is a helluva lot better than sitting on my ass after a long day of work.  Last Sunday while at the track I told myself  "5 Miles or Bust".  About 4 miles in I was dying, but I reminded myself that I had been "dying" for the past 2 miles.  I sucked it up summoned my inner "Rudy" and finally stopped running at 5 1/2 miles.  The feeling was awesome.  The fact that I could barely move on Monday was inconsequential.


Here are the runs I completed this past week.

Sunday:  5 1/2 miles
Monday:  Idle
Tuesday:  Idle
Wednesday:  3 miles
Thursday:  Idle
Friday:  3 miles
Saturday:  Idle
Sunday:  6 miles      I have not done this yet, but I am visualizing the end result. :-)
                                  Completed!!!  I may have to start logging my Sunday goal   
                                   every Saturday for extra motivation.


16 comments:

  1. keep it up. you will thank yourself later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFdividend,

      I completely agree. I am not going to lie it sucks getting up and running, but it sucks just a wee bit less each week. :-)

      MDP

      Delete
  2. Four times a week is a nice routine to have. Keep it up...Health and Wealth I say! :) AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AFFJ,

      Thanks for the encouragement. I wish I could say the routine is set in stone, but it's not. Each time out is a chore. Hopefully six month from now I will be on autopilot.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. You are doing really well :) Keep going! You know you've had a good workout if you can barely walk the next day. I run indoors on the treadmill. I like how it keeps track of my heart rate, speed, etc, but it's not the same feeling as the fresh outdoors. When I first read 35-40 degrees I thought wow that's warm, but then I realized I was thinking in °C lol. Sorry, I'm from the north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liquid,

      The DREADMILL is not my friend. I tried it a few time when it was raining or the temperatures dipped below 30 degrees F. In Houston we don't run in super cold temps. :-) It was ok but I like being outdoors.

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Congrats on achieving a personal milestone, MDP. Always fun to read the non-financial posts from the fellow bloggers :)
    Keep it up and go get that 6-mile run done!

    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R2R,

      Yeah, what good it financial independence without your health. I actually finished 6 miles earlier today. When I got home, my wife told me "good job now start working on the yard" :-( I'm too cheap to get a yard man, though I probably would have paid a premium today.

      MDP

      Delete
  5. Awesome! I'd be interested in following you with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CI! I plan on logging my weekly results as it is just one more way of increasing my accountability. Plus it will be nice to look back at the improvements month after month just like dividend investing.

      MDP

      Delete
  6. Fellow runner here. First, a big congrats on hitting your 5 mile target. You have the right attitude on exercise. Just keep getting it in. It takes time for your body to adapt but if you continually expose your muscles and joints to exercise they will in turn continue to respond. Soon you'll be able to routinely bang 5 milers out without much stress, I'm sure of it.
    PS. I like the 'dreadmill'. I put on fast-paced music and it's like going to a 45 minute concert in the middle of the day. As added bonuses, I'm not dodging traffic, I can't use weather as an excuse to not run, it's knee-saving (lower impact than asphalt) and you know exactly what your pace was. I run outside, too, but only on days where the conditions are good.
    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Doom,

      I don't really like road running either. I usually run at the local high school track. Going around in circles can be boring, but usually there are 10 or 15 people playing soccer, running, bleacher running or playing football. Seeing the others exercising helps keep me motivated. Luckily the weather in Texas is pretty good year round although the Texas summers are murder.

      MDP

      Delete
  7. That is pretty awesome! I love reading other people's running logs but I don't run myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat,

      Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully logging my runs each week will help my results and more importantly, my health!

      MDP

      Delete
  8. 6 work days 60 hours? What kinf of job do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      I'm in sales. I could work less if I chose, but as the saying goes "40 hours is for survival, everything above that is an investment in your future!"

      MDP

      Delete