Friday, June 13, 2014

Weekly Run Log

Here are my runs for this week.

Sunday:  6 miles (high school track)
Monday:  idle
Tuesday:    2.5 miles (neighborhood)
Wednesday:  idle
Thurday:  2.5 miles (neighborhood)
Friday:  2.75 miles (neighborhood)

This was a great week for running in Houston.  We have had a lot of rain which has kept the temperatures lower.

Sunday

I set a new personal best with 6 miles completed in 1 hour and 2 minutes.  This equates to just over a 10 minute per mile average.  I did take a 15 second break for water twice.  The first break was at the 3.25 mile mark and the second was at the 5 mile mark.  While I don't know what the official rules are for taking water breaks, I know that it is summertime in Houston and I don't want to die! While completing 24 laps was fantastic,  I should have probably completed lap #25 as that would have been a 10k run.  That will be my goal for this Sunday.  I also will start running at 6:00 am instead of 7:30 like I did last week.  The heat was pretty intense even at 8:30 when I finished running.

Weekday runs

I decided to change things up during the week as time is more of a factor.  Instead of going to the track I decided to run though my neighborhood.  Road running is without a doubt more difficult.  The road is harder on my feet an knees.  Also my neighboorhood has many hills and this makes for a more rigorous run.  I think the worst part about road running is the the center to side slope in the roads.  My ankles and knees always feel like they are bent sideways. 

About half a mile of the run was on a trail though a wooded area.  Even though the terrain is uneven and at times a bit muddy, this was the most enjoyable part of the run as it is easiest on my feet and the scenery is enjoyable.  I will look for a longer trail in the area and try to run off-road more often.

Stay tuned for more updates next week.  Again, Sunday's goal this week is 25 laps or 10k.

14 comments:

  1. What are you listening too while running? I love podcasts while going for a long walk! There are a few good apps that motivate you to run faster such as zombies attack. It works with your playlist and interrupts it with a storyline to motivate you. Lol the things they come up with.By the way I hate running!

    Good Day and Run On!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AG,

      When I first started running, I blasted Metallica, GNR, Motley Crue, and whatever 80s Hair Metal songs my wife had on her Ipod. I still listen to rock music but I do occasionally listen to a podcast or audiobook. This morning I was listening to The Richest Man in Babylon which I highly recommend!

      MDP

      Delete
  2. There was a time I could run a mile in 5:32. And run a race in 5:50 miles. It was a while ago...

    Keep up the great work. Have good shoes, stretch a bit before each run. And do a nice cool down. If you are adventurous, run backwards for a 1/4 mile or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Nonsense Landlord,

      Wow a 5:32 mile is very impressive. My goal is to get to 10 miles and then I will start working on improving my time. I have never tried running backwards, but I will give it a try.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Those are some good numbers, MDP. You are doing some great progress. Keep it up. Running early in the morning will definitely give you a sense of accomplishment for the rest of the day and keep you energized.

    Love these updates. Have a great weekend
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R2R! Your are right about the energy running gives a person. I am going to try to keep improving a little bit each week. Hopefully during the next few months I can reach 20 miles in a single week.

      MDP

      Delete
  4. Thanks for these posts! Reading last weeks and this post was part of a combination of events to get me out running again. I've always liked the idea of it, but hated it like you. Humans are made to run and I'm hoping to stick with this finally. Let us know when you get to the point where you actually like it! Apparently that's suppose to happen after about a month or two. Thanks for this motivation, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ryan,

      Thanks for the encouragement. Do I like it? Good question...I think I am at the point where I love running about 3 miles, but the longer distances I won't lie are difficult. The good news is that it gets a little easier each week and I will continue adding miles and speed. Hopefully within six months I will love running 6 miles and 10 miles will be what is difficult.

      I'm glad you started running again. I have never been a runner, but I like the ease and convenience of this exercise. Just start and run as far as you can, I could hardly run 100 yards 6 months ago, then just like the compounding with dividend investing the results started improving.

      MDP

      Delete
  5. As a former runner, I can appreciate the opportunity of getting in 4 runs a week consistently. Unfortunately, with a 2 and 4 year old, I find myself spending my free time here in the blogging world. :) Anyhow, keep it up.

    Health and Wealth! AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AFFJ,

      It sounds like you have your hands full with the kiddos. :-) It is tough especially during the week to get up early and get the runs in but I find it rewarding. My blood pressure was starting to get a little too high so I felt it was necessary to start exercising. Running is convenient and I have enjoyed it immensely. I'm not breaking any land speed records but I am adding miles to my routine each week.

      MDP

      Delete
  6. It's great that you are able to log so much runs. I like to run, but don't do it much these days. Good luck with your targets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DGJ,

      Thanks for the support. I like running as well, not that it isn't difficult to do some days. The end game is better health, more energy, and lower blood pressure.

      MDP

      Delete
  7. MDP,

    Wow. Impressive stuff here!

    I've never been a good runner. When I was young I was a competitive bodybuilder and always focused on the anaerobic side. Exercises focused on the aerobic side were always a struggle for me.

    But I generally jog three times per week, every week. Although, these are shorter jogs - a bit less than 1 mile. But immediately after running it's on to 20 minutes of working out with dumbbells and body weight.

    Keep up the great work!!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DM,

      I hear you about running. It is difficult and at times can be grueling, but I told myself to just go outside and run. Maybe I had a Forrest Gump moment earlier this year I don't know. I just knew I needed to get healthier and running seems to be the easiest most convenient thing for me to do.

      Take care.

      MDP

      Delete