Saturday, January 14, 2017

First blog stats for 2017













A few years ago, I would occasionally post updated blog stats. Many have told me to use Google analytics to monitor all kinds of neat SEO stuff and other website analytics. I truly think Google analytics is more accurate with the monthly page view account, but in the end...meh the Blogger info is convenient enough and paints a fairly descriptive picture of what is happening.

To be perfectly honest, Even if I had the patience to go through the process, it is HIGHLY unlikely that I would implement any strategies to drive more traffic to the site. I am a gen Xer who really doesn't give a shit about all that sort of stuff. I'm using the site as a virtual financial diary.

I simply like to record my buys and sells and track the results. My tools are the most basic Blogger platforms that I set up 3 years ago and could not set up this blog again now without about 10 hours of grueling, hair pulling frustration. The idea of setting up my dividend spreadsheet which pulls info from Google sheets gives me a headache. Typing links and code and right sizing the charts and then syncing them to the blog really was a pain in the ass!!

I simply like to use my camera phone to photograph the stock purchases and then write a brief summary of my thoughts. It doesn't get more simple than that! Oh yeah, I simply attach the photos because some goofball sent me an email a few years back and insinuated that I was not really investing this much money each month and that my dividends were fictitious.

Since I started posting the photos of the buys and dividends received, I have never heard another peep. I know I shouldn't do all this extra work with the cameras because one little doggie was barking. No biggie, I kind of like seeing the actual transactions on the blog.

Now if you look at the 1st chart above, you can see that for the first year and a half or so, I had steady increases each month and peaked around 28,000 views. Around August 2015 I was essentially dormant for 5 months as my wife and I went through a divorce.

In January 2016 I started buying and selling again, but was still in hibernation until the middle of the year. This is when the blog activity started to accelerate from a low point of around 10,000 monthly page views.  In December 2016 I actually surpassed 30,000 page views for the first time. Again, the actually count after subtracting various noise is probably several thousand views less.


Who sends me the traffic??

Chart #2 says Google, Dividend MantraPassive Income PursuitCaptain Dividend, and one bad ass dividend building dividend machine named Accumulating Assets are sending me the most traffic each month. There are also some other weird looking websites in that list that I don't really understand.

Dividend Mantra used to send the most traffic, but the site has gone to hell and I can't even leave a comment without joining something. Fucking strange!

Anyway thanks everyone for your continued support and referrals.


Charts #3 and #4 show me which posts received the most traffic and what what my daily, monthly, and all time stats look like.

Damn!!! I still can't believe I hit $14,500 in forward passive income way back in 2014!! I've got some serious work to do....

I'll post more blog updates every couple of months or so going forward.

17 comments:

  1. For me these are incredible numbers! OK, I am running my blog a little bit over one year now, but having 20-30k views per month is my dream...

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DT,

      You'll get there. Like dividend investing, it's all about time, effort, and consistency. Thanks for the visit!!

      MDP

      Delete
  2. dividend mantra has a new site.
    http://www.mrfreeat33.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,

      Thanks. That is certainly good news! I miss seeing Jason with his motivational posts.

      MDP

      Delete
  3. Very nicely done. I am no where near these numbers but to be pulling in that many must feel pretty good. All the best for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BHL,

      It does and thank you. You'll get there in time. Be patient, but aggressive! Oxymoron I know

      MDP

      Delete
    2. I'm sure I will get there one day. At the moment I am trying to break the 100 a day mark for a 30 day average. My site is new so it will take time.

      Delete
  4. MDP -

    I remember crossing the illustrious 30K views, aka the 1k view per day - it was awesome, it only gets better if you continue to write. Hilarious that you show the screen snips of your purchases now understanding why. You were one of the reasons why I started to do the same! Congrats and keep the needle moving up.

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanny,

      You and Bert are running a machine over. Keep the conveyor belt moving! I love being the inspiration for magnificent things, such as attaching a stock buy photo to the blog. I am Mr Cutting Edge!

      MDP

      Delete
  5. Nicely done MDP! Write what makes sense for you. Loving your progress so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawcan,

      Thanks so much. I love reading you blog as well. Keep up the inspiration!!

      MDP

      Delete
  6. Keep it up MDP. Happy for your progress bro.
    I'm still around and gonna keep pushing harder and harder. Just don't want to show my journey anymore. Cheers and keep hustling hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH,

      Man it's good to hear from you!!! I really miss following your journey as it did provide a shit load of motivation. I do respect your decisions so much though. I will keep up the hustle!!

      MDP

      Delete
  7. MDP, Never stop your purchase updates, It is a great motiving factor that creates me that money is being pumped into the stock market.

    Great job on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D4F,

      I plan to log all purchases/sales and dividends received. I'm glad I'm providing some motivation!

      MDP

      Delete
  8. Wow, these are some impressive stats, considering that you took 6 months off with the divorce and selling all of stock position.

    Cheers to more webpage growth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vivianne,

      Thank you for your support! My intentions are for no more interruptions, but life does happen...

      MDP

      Delete